Dominic Sciancalepore: A lot more important. I have no need to know how to find the average of the areas of three pentagons. I'd rather learn about personal finance. Of course, the public school system is a joke, so I don't expect much.It's also pointless, since my high school makes the top 5 for best schools in my state, but half of the kids in my class are failing....Show more
Lynn Mctier: Much more important.
Marylee Lucks: They are equally important and both need to be taught. In fact, a personal finance class should be one of the requirements for graduation.Don't forget: mathematics teaches you how to solve problems, a skill that is applicable everywhere.
Octavio Roylance: How is a person going to be able to do personal finance if they don't have an understanding of basic math principles?
Tereasa Sorensen: I agree you can go an entire 12 years of school and you'll NEVER hear how money is made, or anything about economics. Unless you take ! Econ, and even then you'll find out it's just writting stuff from a book like every other class and you don't retain it... My high school years were a joke in the learning department. I learned most of what I know from the library, and on the internet now....Show more
Linwood Mccory: Less important. Managing personal finances is something people can learn for themselves. More complex subjects, like geometry, require instruction.
Sonya Volcko: It is much more important unless the commies take over.Then we won't have to worry about finances and freedom and all that other stuff that our country was founded on
Jackelyn Archut: I don't think it should be an either/or, but I think it is an easy choice if you have to choose: personal finance. Finance should be worked into math books from elementary school.Students, even those who are not preparing for college, should have a firm grounding in abstract math as well though, as a secondary math priority, because o! f the abstract thought developed through it. If we had any se! nse as a nation, we would be doing something to fix education....Show more
Danyell Rowback: Yes, and I saw that I misspelled geometry in an education question. It was already submitted. What are you going to do?
Azalee Ahrendes: More. No one should go into life with out the basic understanding of finance.
Donte Schoenhals: I think both should be taught equally. Geometry is used by engineers everyday, while you pointed out the importance of a knowledge of finance.
Leisa Brodnex: These days, there are state mandated proficiency tests that students have to pass before they can graduate, so teachers have to develop course plans to get the majority of students past that hurdle. School committees are also struggling to live within budgets that taxpayers are willing to support, so there's precious little funding for these basics, much less money for teaching practical courses like you're asking for. Maybe if all our school graduates were well educated an! d could find well paying jobs, or created new wealth for themselves, they, as taxpayers, wouldn't mind parting with it to pay for those sorts of courses. As it is, I don't think that will happen soon. Rather, we'll see more schools dropping art classes, music education and sports. Class sizes will grow and good teachers will continue to leave the profession because they can't make a decent wage trying to educate our young people....Show more
Joni Ziak: Yes, high school should stop teaching ancient history and teach how to write a check, how to balance your check book how to stay within a budget, ooh maybe we should tell the politicians how to stay within a budget, and maybe they should stop calling it a budget and call it a spending program.
Maria Devenney: I really think it should be a required course in high school. I really wish they would have had something like that when I was in school.
Todd Stogner: I think that a course in personal finance should b! e required. DTG
Freddy Shutler: Personal finance is far more imp! ortant than geometry. Only select occupations ever use geometry, whereas every single individual needs to know how to be responsible and support themselves financially.Edit: had to throw this in there, geometry isn't basic math. Its more of an engineering type class. Basic math is taught before high school, then students go into algebra (which is very important and applicable to just about everything) and geometry. Understanding geometry is important, but not as much as personal finance. Especially in these days....Show more
Anibal Katayama: I don't think that you should juxtapose the two subjects. Both should be taught. Taking a course in personal finance is all very well and good but that does not necessarily translate to good financial practices. Also, many students in high school don't really relate to some of the difficulties involved in managing personal finances except in a general sense. They haven't had the experience of earning income, having to pay bill! s, facing financial emergencies, etc. It is a good idea to try to give them a head start but I wouldn't expect miraculous results. Adults, especially early in their careers, need those courses much more....Show more
No comments:
Post a Comment