Darcie Peraha: Firstly, if you think Clue is the best board game, I'm guessing you've played very few board games. It's very simple, and assuming everyone understands the rules generally comes down to dumb luck who wins. Also because the main mechanic is a process of elimination, I don't see how to work questions into it, without changing the point in the game entirely. I could -try- and work questions and a niche theme into the Clue rules, but it would be over-complicated, and over-complication is the scourge of board games. Good games should have simple rules, like Chess or Risk. Deeply tactical, small rule book.If you're making it for drama class, I assume you'll be graded on it. I doubt the game itself will make up a huge portion of the game, the weighting of your grade will surely be on the quality of your questions (and the obvious effort you've put into the research). I suggest, if you haven't done so already, to make 50 questions (10 on each era). I would ! think also that a good way to score some bonus points is by making them multiple choice, where the 3 incorrect choices all sound annoyingly correct, it proves you know your stuff, and for the game purposes means you can have them as difficult as you like cos there's always a 25% chance of getting it correct.As its a board game, we're looking at keeping track of something (other than points) - else why would you need a board? Movement (for an added randomness to make the game less predictable, and perhaps somewhat tactical) around a board is an excellent use of a board, as seen in many simple games that lack the depth of Chess and friends.Why not make it a race, like Chutes & Ladders, but better, obviously. I hate Chutes & Ladders because there is zero decision making, you roll the dice, you move the piece, repeat until someone wins. You'd be as well to toss a coin.If you made it a 100 square board (10x10 like chutes and ladders) but divided chronologically into the 5 er! as, so its a journey through time. Then each square has a pen! alty or bonus should you answer the question correctly. (Where you draw a question from the era deck corresponding to where you are on the 'timeline'Examples:Answer the question correctly to move forward x spaces.Answer the question correctly or you're moved backwards x spaces.Read the question, then nominate a player to answer it, if they get it right (or wrong) you swap places with them on the board (could be good or bad depending on positions).Answer question correctly or you're returned to the start of the current era.Answer question correctly to move to the end of the current era.Answer correctly to get a 50/50 token. (Keep this token and spend it on a multiple choice question to remove two wrong answers)EtcWould play out as: Roll dice, move player piece spaces equal to the number on the dice, resolve the question/square, turn ends - next player.Once a player gets to square 101 (off the board, having passed all eras) their turn ends. Then on their next turn they pic! k an era of their choice (of those remaining) and have to answer it correctly without seeing the multiple choice answers. If they answer correctly, they win, if not, they try again next turn.As there's only 50 questions, and depending on number of players and dice rolls, I'd say you have the 5 decks of 10 questions shuffled, and once a question is asked it gets discarded. Once all 10 of one era are discarded they are shuffled and returned to the deck.I make board games, btw....Show more
Guy Bonamico: Board Game With Questions
No comments:
Post a Comment